Anjanesh

Assignment Statements, Comparisons & Observations
Font: Size: + -

HDD Media Cable Burnt !

Sunday, April 11, 2010

I came back from office yesterday night, left my Ubuntu 10.04b1 PC switched on the whole night for an OS update and even though the update as like 30 mins tops, I was so sleepy that I didn't bother to wait that long.
When I got up in the morning, I had to reboot after the update, but I had to cold-reboot for some reason (GNOME was working with wierd characters).
But my machine never booted - and this was not at even the OS level as I was getting this message.

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key

So no grub or bootloader missing fix etc.

I went to BIOS > Boot

Boot Menu Type : Normal
Boot Device Priority : <CD/DVD-ROM Drive>
                       <Hard Disk Drive>
                       <Floppy Drive>
                       <Ethernet>
Hard Driver Order    : No Hard Disk Drive
CD/DVD ROM Drive Order : <PT-TSSTcorp CDDV>
Removable Drive Order : No Removable Drive

I opened the chasis (which I should've right in the beginning saving all that time searching for a boot fix), and found that the power cable to the hard-disk was badly burnt !

Burnt

0 comments: